Tuesday, January 10, 2006

it all boils down to one beautiful phrase: if you love something give it away.

I had this thing called a Business Externship yesterday at vanguard (thevanguardgroup.com). Its like 20 minutes away from me, 30 with traffic. It was basically just a super-tour of the whole place. They told us what they do there, we broke up into smaller groups, and then me and this other guy got a feel for the entire IT department there. I loved it, but I feel like it wasnt so much the "Vanguard" that i was in love with, it was the IT. We saw this guy, Andrew, and he talked to us about software and webpage development and I was just in way over my head. This guy's got like 3 years on me, but probably 5 - 10 in knowledge. He was incredible. Then we talked to a few other people, met like 70 from her office, ate with some more at lunch. The young guys there are all cool (well computer-cool) and I would probably have fun there. But its way too much like Office Space. I remember talking to this one guy at lunch, he was funny, but he looked EXACTLY like Michael Bolton from that movie and he was just talking about going to the bar after work to these Indian guys and one Asian. Jesus.

The place was nice, but I can see why they have the reputation for "not extravagant." Thats not to say they're cheap, they are so cost focused on getting the cost down for the customer that they see potential money made from customers as better than splurging for a nice conference table. I mean, a conference table that all the CEO's sit at. This is a trilian dollar company. Come on.

I think it confirmed in my head that I dont want a strictly IT job, and at the same time, I dont want a strictly business job. I wouldnt be able to be good at either one. I really do need something that splits them a little bit. Also, I want to work in new york. It pains me to say it, but I couldnt do the suburban thing for the rest of my life. Especially not after I graduate. I guess Im even looking for something there over this summer. I think it would be fun and an awesome experience. I know my brother was talking about it a while ago, but he never had the proper motivation.

3 maybe 4 more semesters at Lehigh pending a few things, I go back on saturday and I really cant wait. Its time now to buckle down and get my grades as high as I possibly can because after this semester is the GPA that I report on all of my resumes and applications for employment post college. Ive convinced myself that it needs to happen so hopefully it wont be too bad. Im taking the most credits ive ever taken this semester at a nice round 20. I dont know what to expect. But I just miss everyone from school, so this saturday is much anticipated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home